As the year draws to a close we are looking back at the year’s greatest achievements. This case study dives into the metrics achieved in one of our most successful link-building campaigns and how they resulted in significant measurable benefits for Client X’s site. Client X has seen a dramatic uplift in links, traffic and domain authority thanks to an SEO strategy that included these campaigns.
Client X’s website improvements:
- Organic Traffic (not including traffic to customer pages or the creative pieces themselves): +69% year on year
- Linking Domains: 1K -> 3K
- Domain Authority: 45 -> 51
Why did Client X want to focus on link generation?
- Client X exists in a very competitive space.
- Client X was recovering from having a low-quality backlink profile
- A link-building campaign is something that can run in tandem with other main site improvements without taking up developer resource.
- Creative campaigns could gain brand exposure in publications that have not covered the brand previously.
Primary campaign goal:
Generate quality backlinks to Client X’s site to support SEO ranking improvements
What Distilled created:
Distilled has been consulting for Client X for two years. As well as working on technical and SEO strategy, we produced two Creative campaigns in 2017 and started to see results. This led to an even bigger investment over the course of 2018, where we created 7 link-building campaigns for Client X, achieving the following:
- 245 links (79% followed)
- 40 links per campaign average
- 3,500+ social shares
- 100,620 sessions to Creative pages
This helped achieve improve Domain Authority from 45 to 51 over the course of the year.
Using results from multiple tools
Because no tracking tool has a perfect understanding of the internet, we don’t rely on data from just one source when we are reviewing campaign impact. While different tools might report different actual numbers (for instance the difference between Moz known Linking Domains and SEMRush Referring Domains) we look for signs that all the tools are saying the same thing, whether that’s progress, stagnation, or decline.
Importantly - every data source we checked shows Client X performing well this year, often overtaking competitors.
‘Competitor C’ acquired 2 other relatively large sites during 2018, meaning that they benefited from a big influx of redirected links during this same time period.
Known links: 31.1K -> 186K
Known linking domains: 977 -> 3000
Domain Authority (SEMRush):
Site Visibility (Searchmetrics, Sistrix)
Traffic value (SEMRush)
SEMRush uses rank tracking and PPC data to estimate how much organic traffic a site is getting, and how much it would cost to get the same amount of traffic by paying for it in Google Ads. SEMRush doesn’t account for all of Client X’s traffic (we know the numbers are much higher) but this still shows a marked increase throughout the year and estimates a traffic worth of $97,700.
To recap Client X’s website improvements:
- Organic Traffic (not including customer pages or creative pages): +69% year on year
- Linking Domains: 1K -> 3K
- Domain Authority: 45->51
While links are only one part of a balanced SEO approach, this case study demonstrates that the coverage achieved by these pages is helping our strategy for Client X progress in the right direction. We are looking forward to creating more campaigns in 2019, and building on what we have learnt.