About the role
We are looking for our first sales person for our growing SaaS product team in London - helping businesses bring a data-driven approach to understanding the SEO impact of on-page changes. Our product, DistilledODN, enables companies to make changes to their website much more quickly, and to split-test those changes for SEO impact. Very few companies can do this without our help.
For the right person, this is a rare opportunity to combine:
- An entrepreneurial role with a lot of freedom and upside potential as the first person in a dedicated sales role on this team
- The opportunity to sell an exciting, scalable software product - our Optimisation Delivery Network (ODN)
- The chance to join an established, profitable company surrounded by a team of ~50 smart and driven colleagues across the US and UK and benefit from inbound leads from month one
Most SaaS sales roles involve either joining large established sales teams, or taking a punt on a startup’s ability to continue raising money and generate new leads. Distilled is an established digital marketing company - in business since 2005 - with offices in London, New York, and Seattle. In 2015, our R&D team developed a prototype of the platform that would become DistilledODN, and we started adding paying customers in Q2 2016 with sales done by Distilled’s founder and CEO Will Critchlow and head of R&D Tom Anthony. As the platform has now grown to handle almost two billion requests / month and millions of dollars of e-commerce revenue / day, we are ready to start scaling.
We are generating hundreds of qualified inbound leads / quarter and growing our email lists by thousands / quarter, and so although you will be joining a small technology team, the established nature of the overall business means that there will be plenty to do on day one.
Selling the Distilled ODN platform
Selling software is a totally different game depending on the scale and size of the deals that you are doing. In order to position the work correctly, you should be expecting:
- Five-to-six-figure Annual Contract Value (ACV) deals
- Deals will likely take months from initial enquiry to contract signature
- You will typically have dozens of deals at some stage of the pipeline at any one time
In order to be successful, you will need to be effective at taking deals from enquiry to contract signature, drive a growing volume of new business, and align the new business well with the customer attributes needed for success.
You should expect to be supported in this with:
- A flow of 50+ leads / month that are worth engaging with
- Marketing activities positioning Distilled and the ODN as best-in-class providers
- Technical support for demos, questions from prospects, and pricing as well as legal and commercial support through contract negotiations
- A CRM system (Hubspot) with template documents, emails for different stages, and pricing processes
You will need to be prepared to work hours that frequently overlap with US timezones for interactions with prospects and customers throughout North America. The role will initially report to the CEO who has been handling these sales while we developed processes and systems.
The vast majority of the work will be inside sales - delivered via video conference, screen share, calls, and emails from our London office - but you should be prepared to travel to meet larger or highly-qualified prospects.
You will be excited about joining a team that lives by our manifesto, and you will thrive in an environment where you are expected to take ownership and get things done. You will bring smarts and hustle and, specifically, you:
- will have at least some SaaS sales experience
- will be very comfortable with technology and ready to learn basic HTML and regular expressions
- will understand our customers - typically digital businesses, often with e-commerce elements
- must have exceptional written and verbal English and communication skills in general
- might have though these are not required:
- some experience with digital marketing or even SEO
- some background in maths / statistics / science
We will be offering a competitive package consisting of base salary plus commission based on realistic goals and targets from our work selling the product ourselves over the past year.
- 25 days annual leave plus 8 bank holidays
- Subsidised private healthcare and life insurance
- 5% pension matching
- Subsidised gym membership
- A laptop and second monitor
- A Kindle with a few books pre-loaded
- A £750 happiness budget so you can buy stuff to make you happier at work such as a new flashy monitor, a new office chair, laptop upgrade or training
- Company-funded drinks and snacks on Friday afternoons