Day 1 – Thursday 26th March
Welcome to SearchLove San Diego 2020
Dominic WoodmanDistilledAfter a successful spell as Emcee for SearchLove London, we are delighted to announce that Dominic will be hosting this year’s San Diego conference. His day job consists of being a senior consultant for Distilled, perfectly positioning him to question our speakers and make sure we get every drop of knowledge from them.
Breaking Out of the Audit Trap
Matthew BrownMJBLabsSEO audits are usually the leadoff feature of a consulting or in-house campaign and they are rarely memorable. In this session, Matthew will use examples from his years working with well-known brands to explain how to create an SEO playbook that can both change a company's direction as well as match up with the signals Google is looking for in a top-ranked site.
Machine Learning and Technical SEO
Britney MullerMozExplore an actionable machine learning framework, why it's important to work backward, and how to execute models into the wild. Feel tech savvier (and more machine learning confident) knowing you will be taking valuable examples & resources back to the office with you.
An Update from Distilled
Will CritchlowDistilledA quick-fire session that will bring you up to speed with the latest happenings at Distilled and focus on key moments in the search industry over the past 12 months.
Optimizing for the Eye: Physiology Tricks for Search & Conversion
Angie SchottmullerInteractive ArtisanSometimes the biggest marketing opportunities lie on the surface of first impressions. Join this session for a fascinating glimpse at how you can leverage physiology (how things are physically processed by the eye) to tangibly improve the user experience. Angie will walk through mind-blowing science of illusions, color and directional cues with case studies and frameworks that you can immediately leverage to reduce bounce, improve CTR, and grow conversions.
Community Speaker: How to Passively Generate Links
Alex HeinzSiege Media
Community Speaker: How To Get Sh*t Done When Your'e The Only SEO
Lindsay MineoThe Nature Conservancy
How The Top 1% of SEO and Content Strategies Do It: A Breakdown of the Best Performing Tactics
Andy CrestodinaOrbit Media StudiosFrom the first keyphrase to the final click, this session connects all the dots. Learn how to build a bridge between the Google search results page and your website’s lead form and make that bridge a fast-flowing highway of continuous demand. What topic naturally attracts links? What formats are outperformers? Which collaborators are most important? Which tools and reports show you the best opportunities fast? Learn the most effective tactics according to research, 20-years of SEO and experience with 1000+ clients. Andy will walk through the process for driving rankings, relationships and relevance.
Unmasking Imposter Syndrome: 6 Lessons From a Marketing Fraud
Tiffany Da SilvaDaSilva ConsultingWe've all been there. You finally step foot into the job you've wanted forever only to feel like you aren't good enough for the role, or worse, a complete fraud. You're not alone, an estimated 70% of people from all walks of life, both men and women experience imposter syndrome at some point in their careers. In this talk, Tiffany shares her own experiences along with the framework and tools she uses every day to eliminate it.
On-Page Best Practices That Harm Your Traffic
Emily PotterDistilledSEO A/B testing has revealed to us that many "best practices" changes actually harm your organic traffic, and oftentimes they are culprits you wouldn't have expected. This talk will go over a selection of case studies from our testing platform, DistilledODN, and how using a hypothesis testing model has enabled us to gain new insights into SEO that we previously haven't had before.
Janitors Don't Talk to CEOs
Wil ReynoldsSEER InteractiveSEO is Janitorial ... I need links (check). I need an audit (check). I need 19 pieces of content a week (check). I need a ranking report (check). How confusing outputs (a to-do list of tasks to be checked) with outcomes (what completing that to-do list enables) is why search is often at the kiddie table of marketing. In this presentation Wil shares how knowing too much about search hurt his career, internal examples of how he level up his staff, and how everything changed when he started asking "consultant questions" to dig deeper.
Networking PartyTake some time to unwind and discuss the day, as we head to the beach for drinks and nibbles around the firepits. This is the perfect opportunity to introduce mingle with speakers, the Distilled team and fellow attendees. This event will continue until ~10:00pm.
Day 2 – Friday 27th March
Introduction to Day Two
Building the Content Machine
Mike KingipullrankAs search marketers, we're all guilty of treating content as a series of isolated incidents. You may find yourself swinging for the fences with interactives, ultimate guides and data visualization only to strike out in the first inning. The realty is that effective content performance happens through consistent and choreographed efforts composed through robust and well-crafted content strategies. In this talk, Mike King takes you through the process building a content machine that ties together data, tools, people and pipelines to yield content performs.
¡Más PPC Por Favor! How to Break Into Bilingual Search Campaigns
Francine RodriguezWordstreamEveryone wants más out of their PPC but as digital marketers we hit that search wall and start looking to new campaign types or networks to compensate when growth is stagnant. In this session, we will uncover why the Hispanic audience in as important market to reach online and will learn best practices to start experimenting with bilingual campaigns.
Changes That Have Taken Traffic From Your Analytics
Tom CapperDistilledWhat if we told you that if you're doing just as well as you were last year, you should expect your analytics data to be down? In this talk, Tom will talk about how users, apps, browsers and regulations are all evolving in ways that compromise popular analytics platforms. He'll also talk about how you can get around that, and whether you should.
Neuromarketing Mind Hacks That Will Make Your Content Marketing More Effective and Drive More Leads
Flavilla Fongang3 Colours RuleWhat if you had the roadmap to hack to into the mind of your customers and create campaigns that always deliver? The most successful marketers and digital marketers have achieved great success by applying successfully neuromarketing mind hacks to engage and convert prospects more effectively. Flavilla will present what neuromarketing is and its relevance. Through various case studies show how her agency has run the most effective marketing campaigns even micro budget generating large amount of leads for her clients and how established brands do it too.
On-Page SEO Geek Out with Title Tags and More
Cyrus ShepardZyppyA lonely man. A title tag. A 10-year obsession. In this session, Cyrus shares insight and experimental data from optimizing thousands of title tags and other on-page elements. Plus, an exploration of some of the best on-page optimization tools & techniques.
Design Data-Driven Reports That Turn Critics into Cheerleaders
Amy HebdonPaid Search MagicClient reporting needs an overhaul. Most dashboards and templates are built for marketers, not stakeholders, leaving clients confused and resistant to important take-aways. In this session, we'll borrow the best ideas from journalism, psychology, data visualization, information design, conversion copywriting and storytelling to prepare reports that matter to your audience, promote emotional buy-in and drive meaningful change.
How the Big Dogs Optimize for Searcher Intent
Daniel RussellGo Fish DigitalGoogle wants us to match our content with user intent and drive engagement with our web interfaces. Where to start? Well the biggest brands have the biggest budgets, the biggest teams, and the most on the line when it comes to their web interfaces. Their processes and tricks can be invaluable for small, big and every business in between. Learn from Amazon, Home Depot, and Allstate's websites and come away with how you can replicate optimization tactics that the big dogs use with their huge resources.
Misunderstood Concepts at the Heart of SEO
Will CritchlowDistilledWill is the Founder and CEO of Distilled, and a SearchLove regular. He speaks at conferences around the world sharing his thoughts on the future of digital, and Google in particular. He will be speaking in San Diego about areas of search and SEO that are poorly-understood, and often poorly-explained by Google.
Closing Words and Thanks!
Dominic WoodmanDistilledClosing words and final takeaways from our emcee, Dominic Woodman
Industry DrinksAfter two days of talks and learning, it's time to relax. Staying on site at Kona Kai resort we'll head to a private garden area for a final catch up, along with fun and games. Feel free to bring along a colleague or friend for you last chance to hang out with our speakers, team and other attendees. This event will take place between 5:00pm and 8:00pm.
SearchLove jump started my career and changed the way we do online marketing. Anyone who works in this industry needs to be there.Chase Richards, Kaplan International.
Check out some clips of industry leaders speaking at previous SearchLove conferences.
Keep me informed about this and other conferences
Every session takes place in the same room. That means no difficult decisions and no rushing around between presentations.
Get feedback on your website at a site clinic.
Keynote style sessions
Our in-house team looks after every detail: fresh food prepared with local ingredients, rock-solid wi-fi and that chilled beer when you're finished for the day.
Your exclusive entrance to the grand pacific ocean. Based right on the waterfront with views out over the marina. Rock solid Wi-Fi will keep delegates online, as they place their laptops on the desks in the classroom-style setting.
Our allotted allocation of rooms at Kona Kai Resort has now sold out. Please contact the hotel directly to check remaining availability. There are still a number of excellent hotels in and around Shelter Island, all within walking distance of the venue. Please take a look at our HotelMap which shows live hotel availability and pricing:
- Meet your industry peers and compare experiences
- Get inspired by new ideas and different ways of thinking about marketing
- Learn about the latest actionable techniques to use back in the office
- Widen your field of knowledge on a diverse range of topics
The whole vibe is amazing! You get the latest trends, tips and cases from speakers who actually want to speak openly about search, and not just show off their success. It is the single most inspirational event I have ever attended. Morten Bergestad.
- Be inspired by new ideas and different ways of thinking about marketing
- Learn about the latest techniques to use back in the office
- Get to know your industry peers and compare experiences
- Widen your field of knowledge across a diverse range of topics
Relevant topics, fact based analysis, real-life examples and engaging speakers gave sound advice and really reminded me why I love SEO. I'll definitely be back next year. James Bavington, Creare Group.
- Get inspired by new ideas and different ways of thinking about marketing
- Learn how to integrate marketing campaigns for optimum effect
- Hear about predictions and future trends in search
- Share experiences and ideas with other people in the industry
Expect to be entertained, educated and instilled with confidence either that you are doing the right things or knowing exactly what to do to improve. Katherine Dawson, Owner & Creative Director of Strategy Digital.
- Get to grips with all the latest skills and techniques
- Be inspired by success stories from a diverse range of companies
- Ask questions to industry leaders who run businesses
- Spend focused time on the most relevant topics
Distilled events cut through all of the industry hype to focus on sensible and practical advice that I can use in my business right now. Ade Lewis, Teapot Creative.
- Can I pay via invoice / purchase order number?
- Yes, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for full details. The invoice must be paid immediately on receiving the invoice.
- Are there any group discounts?
- Yes, we offer buy 4 get 1 free, buy 8 get 2 free, and so on. If these aren’t suitable, please get in touch: email@example.com
- Do I need to be an expert to attend the conference?
- Not at all, people of all experience levels are welcome. We do pitch our sessions at an advanced level to make sure the content is new and inspiring. However, if there is something that you are unclear on, please come and chat to one of our team or a fellow delegate during the breaks. We’re a friendly bunch!
- Will I receive a paper ticket?
- No, we don’t issue any paper tickets for our conferences. Instead, you should receive a confirmation email once you have purchased your ticket(s). Then, when you arrive at registration on the morning of the conference, you will need to come to the desk and collect your lanyard.
- What are the timings on the day?
- On day 1, registration opens at 8am, and the first session starts at 9am. The last session finishes at around 5.30pm followed by our networking party. On day 2, the first session starts at 9.15am, and the last session finishes at around 5pm followed by our industry drinks.
- Are refreshments provided?
- Very much so! A delicious lunch is provided to all delegates, as well as a light breakfast, plus coffee, tea and snacks throughout the day.
- Will I receive the slides after the conference?
- Yes, all the slides are linked to from our live page: distilled.net/live. This is also where you can provide feedback for our events team and our speakers
- Are there opportunities to ask the speakers questions?
- Yes, there are lots of networking opportunities throughout the two days: during the breaks, at the party and industry drinks, as well as the VIP dinner. We also try to schedule a Q&A with the speaker after each presentation.
- Is this event for me? I am in-house / agency / freelance / a business owner.
- Yes, it’s for everyone. We cover a wide variety of topics and areas. Read more in the ‘Is this for me?’ section on each conference’s promotional page.
- Will the conference be recorded?
- Yes, we film all of our conferences and you can purchase a video ticket in the tickets section. Alternatively, if you’re a paid member of DistilledU, you will receive all of our conference videos for free.
- Can I pitch to speak at the conferences?
- You can submit a pitch to speak at SearchLove here: https://goo.gl/forms/mFbgUFQSucgLJEUT2
- VIP Dinner? Tell me more!
- For VIP ticket holders only, the dinner is a fantastic chance to spend time with the conference’s expert speakers. We always choose an up-market venue with a private dining room, delicious food and wine. This is a not-to-miss evening!
- Future Conferences - can I be kept informed?
- To be the first to hear about the conference series, sign up for Email Alerts here