San Diego - March 4th & 5th, 2019
Power up your skills over two days, with cutting edge digital marketing presentations. From analytics and optimization, to content and paid promotions, all the crucial topics are covered. You’ll join the rest of the search community at the amazing Kona Kai resort.
Day 1 – Monday 4th March
Introduction to Day One
Rob OusbeyEmceeA warm welcome from our emcees Rob Ousbey & Kayla Walker. Rob & Kayla will be introducing the speakers and taking questions from the floor after each session.
Machine Learning: Know Enough to Be Dangerous
Britney MullerMozWhat is Machine Learning and how can we apply it to digital marketing? After this session, you'll understand machine learning basics, what ML can be used for, examples of ML solving SEO tasks and executable programs you start using immediately.
Search vs. Bureaucracy: How to Stand Up an Organic Search Program for Your Client
Heather PhysiocVMLY&RLack of buy-in. Failure to prioritize. Limited budget and resources. Low understanding of search. Corporate silos. All these and more are obstacles standing in the way of getting your best search work implemented - and much of it can be prevented. Based on extensive research into common blockers that search professionals encounter with clients, this talk will teach you how to immerse yourself into a new client relationship, assess the client’s organizational maturity, and uncover those stumbling blocks before you hit them. Heather Physioc will share tools and techniques to prevent and overcome those obstacles so you can get real search work done.
An Update from Distilled
Understanding Your Local Search Presence
Dana DiTomasoKick PointWe're in a catch-22 of mobile search — lots more people are using mobile search, particularly in local, but less and less of those people are actually tapping on search results and visiting your website. Local has long been a testing ground for no click searches but it's getting harder to build an action plan and track success. In this talk, Dana will review tools you can use to monitor local results (even on a block by block basis!) and provide tips for improving your local presence in both organic and paid results.
Community Speaker - How to Better Communicate with Data
James CorrSeer InteractiveData's not limited to one field, one discipline or one industry and it's inescapable in Digital Marketing and it's the currency of decision-makers in today's world. If you can't speak it well, your insight/recommendation/pitch will likely fall on deaf ears. In this session, James will share his experiences at Seer as both an analyst and Team Lead to provide actionable takeaways, practical tips, best practices and a Google Data Studio template for Google Analytics and Search Console.
Community Speaker - Why, When and How You Should Update Your Content
Raffa AsquerGolden HippoUpdating your website content (periodically, if possible) can really improve rankings and organic traffic. However, compared to other SEO best practices (e.g. optimizing title tags, improving internal linking, fixing technical issues), doing it at scale can take a lot of time. That's why you need to be strategic about it. In this presentation, Raffa will explain how he designed and coordinated content refresh initiatives at Fodors.com, a large travel website, which resulted in organic traffic increases ranging from 25% to 60% and how you can do the same.
Measurement for Growth
Krista SeidenGrowth marketing has been all the rage, but what is it? Is it new age optimizers looking for a fancy title? Marketers spinning their services in a new way? A buzzword for a game of bingo? User lifecycle marketing? In this talk, Krista breaks down what Growth Marketing is, with roots grounded in analytics, experimentation, and product development, why it's important, how it's different, how we can all do it, and most importantly, how measurement works for growth.
Excel? It Would Be Easier to Go to Jupyter
Robin LordDistilledRobin takes a look at the kind of things we're doing the hard way, every day, and explores how we could make our lives easier and our work better with Jupyter notebooks.
Don’t Let Facebook Get You Down: Strategies for Results, Regardless of Your Ad Budget
Lindsay Dayton LaShellDiamond + Branch Marketing GroupOrganic reach from Pages to individuals on Facebook has been dropping for years. Many sources say that for the past couple of years it’s been around 2%, meaning that if you have 100 followers, only 2 see each post. These days, you basically have to pay Facebook to grow your audience, then pay them again to show them your content! For organizations that have small or non-existent advertising budgets, this can be super discouraging. This talk will provide three sanity-protecting recommendations for thinking about your approach to Facebook, and some ideas for maximizing your benefit, regardless of how much money you give them.
How to Get Everything You've Ever Wanted with Just an Email
Rand FishkinSparkToroThat new job? That guest column in the publication of your dreams? Help promoting that piece? A chance to walk through your product with your ideal sales target? Getting people you don't know to do you small (and medium-sized) favors that can have huge impacts on your marketing? HARD. But there are ways to ease this friction, increase your odds of success, and form real relationships with powerful professional impacts. In this presentation, Rand Fishkin, cofounder of SparkToro (prev. Moz) will show exactly how to turn seemingly impossible asks and unconquerable outreach into high probabilities for success.
All Speakers - Let's Get Real
Day 2 – Tuesday 5th March
Introduction to Day Two
Kayla WalkerEmceeRob & Kayla will introduce day two of SearchLove San Diego 2019 before we get underway with all of the day's sessions.
How To Identify Content Opportunities Worth Chasing
Ross Simmondsrosssimmonds.comWhether you're trying to generate leads, links, shares or more traffic - identifying great content opportunities is an important part of any content marketing effort. In this talk, Ross will share tried & tested techniques along with some clear examples of how these efforts can help any marketer in any industry uncover opportunities worth chasing.
The Ecosystem Effect: How Our Social Voice Boosted Our SEO
Lisa SchneiderMerriam WebsterMany of us think of our SEO and social media teams as having very little that connect each other. But what if successful social media could improve our SEO efforts? This is exactly what Merriam-Webster — the 180-year-old dictionary — did. In her session, Lisa will be walking through how Merriam-Webster used social media to find an authentic, engaging voice and connect with data-driven trends across topics from politics to pop culture. Learn how the result was an ecosystem effect that also drove SEO ranking and CTR success.
A Year of SEO Split Testing Changed How I Thought Seo Worked
Dominic WoodmanDistilledIf you asked a UX professional whether users prefer one image or two on a blog post, they'd tell you to test it — trying to double guess users is foolish. Yet for many companies, SEO has no testing at all, just endless reams of best practice and hand waving. Last year I changed role and got the chance to treat SEO differently, running over 50 tests across different websites. This session will give an insight into what worked, and just as importantly, what didn’t.
Community Speaker - Creating Great Content in Boring Industries
Vince NeroSiege MediaLet's face it, not all industries are created equal. We can't all write about celebrity gossip or sports news. This session will walk the audience through several actionable tactics for ways to make great, shareable, linkable content in boring industries. Vince will show them examples of companies that have done it successfully and will also explain how they can get it shared, drive backlinks and get it ranking.
Community Speaker - Advertising on Amazon: How to Take Advantage of Amazon's Most Powerful Sales Drivers
Nancy-Lee McLaughlinCPC StrategyWith nearly half of US internet users starting their product searches on Amazon it is vital to understand what tools marketers can utilize to be successful on the ever-changing platform and how to incorporate this into your total digital media plan. Join us in this session to gain valuable insights into Amazon's Advertising platform and how to win.
SEO + CRO: When ‘what’s good for users’ isn’t good for Google
Will CritchlowDistilledWe know that Google wants to align their results with the websites that make searchers happy. We expect to see more and more ranking factors that align with this - whether based on actual usage data, machine-learned equivalents, or simply from evaluating algorithm changes based on their impacts on usage. But on our journey to that point, it's important to realize that changes made to improve conversion rate or UX could harm search performance, and vice versa. How do we navigate this complexity? That's what Will is going to be covering.
Quest is in the Name
Alexis SandersMerkleQuestion answering systems (QAS) involve machines directly answering a user's question. They are quickly becoming a new model for search engines as technology enables higher precision answers. This talk covers QAS basics, research from Google from over the past year, and covers what we can do as search professionals for our site's strategic direction.
Growth by Content: Driving Massive Traffic Without a Big Budget
Nadya KhojaVenngageIt’s a lot easier to scale traffic when you have a big budget at your disposal, and existing brand recognition to piggyback off of, but what happens when you’re either starting from scratch or don’t have massive amounts of investment money that you can rely on? In this session, Nadya shares the story of how Venngage went from 0 to 300k monthly blog visits, as well as all the wins and loses the company faced along the way.
10 Conversation Changing Visuals
Wil ReynoldsSEER InteractiveWhether you are e-commerce, local, B2B, B2C, PPC or SEO, this presentation will go over 10 data visualizations that have helped our team change conversations with clients, prioritize workloads, get things done faster and win.
SearchLove jump started my career and changed the way we do online marketing. Anyone who works in this industry needs to be there.Chase Richards, Kaplan International.
Check out some clips of industry leaders speaking at previous SearchLove conferences.
Keep me informed about this and other conferences
Every session takes place in the same room. That means no difficult decisions and no rushing around between presentations.
Get feedback on your website at a site clinic.
Keynote style sessions
Our in-house team looks after every detail: fresh food prepared with local ingredients, rock-solid wi-fi and that chilled beer when you're finished for the day.
After a busy time learning, unwind at our lunches and parties. Hang out with the people you've been chatting to online and make new contacts.
Clink glasses with all the speakers at this exclusive gathering. The small group will tuck into gourmet food and wine while talking through any hot topics in online marketing.
Glowing fires, evening sun, a beer in your hand. The beach makes for a vibrant party atmosphere where plenty of food and a generous drinks tab will keep us all in high spirits.
These drinks serve up another chance to speak to anyone you missed the day before. Wind-down and exchange contact details as the waves lap by the marina.
Your exclusive entrance to the grand pacific ocean. Based right on the waterfront with views out over the marina. Rock solid Wi-Fi will keep delegates online, as they place their laptops on the desks in the classroom-style setting.
Our allotted allocation of rooms at Kona Kai Resort and Spa is now sold out. Please contact the venue directly to check remaining availabilty
There are still a number of excellent hotels in and around Shelter Island, all within walking distance of the venue. We recommend booking early as we are sure these will soon become fully booked as well!
The nearest hotels are:
- Meet your industry peers and compare experiences
- Get inspired by new ideas and different ways of thinking about marketing
- Learn about the latest actionable techniques to use back in the office
- Widen your field of knowledge on a diverse range of topics
The whole vibe is amazing! You get the latest trends, tips and cases from speakers who actually want to speak openly about search, and not just show off their success. It is the single most inspirational event I have ever attended. Morten Bergestad.
- Be inspired by new ideas and different ways of thinking about marketing
- Learn about the latest techniques to use back in the office
- Get to know your industry peers and compare experiences
- Widen your field of knowledge across a diverse range of topics
Relevant topics, fact based analysis, real-life examples and engaging speakers gave sound advice and really reminded me why I love SEO. I'll definitely be back next year. James Bavington, Creare Group.
- Get inspired by new ideas and different ways of thinking about marketing
- Learn how to integrate marketing campaigns for optimum effect
- Hear about predictions and future trends in search
- Share experiences and ideas with other people in the industry
Expect to be entertained, educated and instilled with confidence either that you are doing the right things or knowing exactly what to do to improve. Katherine Dawson, Owner & Creative Director of Strategy Digital.
- Get to grips with all the latest skills and techniques
- Be inspired by success stories from a diverse range of companies
- Ask questions to industry leaders who run businesses
- Spend focused time on the most relevant topics
Distilled events cut through all of the industry hype to focus on sensible and practical advice that I can use in my business right now. Ade Lewis, Teapot Creative.
- Can I pay via invoice / purchase order number?
- Yes, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for full details. The invoice must be paid immediately on receiving the invoice.
- Are there any group discounts?
- Yes, we offer buy 4 get 1 free, buy 8 get 2 free, and so on. If these aren’t suitable, please get in touch: email@example.com
- Do I need to be an expert to attend the conference?
- Not at all, people of all experience levels are welcome. We do pitch our sessions at an advanced level to make sure the content is new and inspiring. However, if there is something that you are unclear on, please come and chat to one of our team or a fellow delegate during the breaks. We’re a friendly bunch!
- Will I receive a paper ticket?
- No, we don’t issue any paper tickets for our conferences. Instead, you should receive a confirmation email once you have purchased your ticket(s). Then, when you arrive at registration on the morning of the conference, you will need to come to the desk and collect your lanyard.
- What are the timings on the day?
- On day 1, registration opens at 8am, and the first session starts at 9am. The last session finishes at around 5.30pm followed by our networking party. On day 2, the first session starts at 9.15am, and the last session finishes at around 5pm followed by our industry drinks.
- Are refreshments provided?
- Very much so! A delicious lunch is provided to all delegates, as well as a light breakfast, plus coffee, tea and snacks throughout the day.
- Will I receive the slides after the conference?
- Yes, all the slides are linked to from our live page: distilled.net/live. This is also where you can provide feedback for our events team and our speakers
- Are there opportunities to ask the speakers questions?
- Yes, there are lots of networking opportunities throughout the two days: during the breaks, at the party and industry drinks, as well as the VIP dinner. We also try to schedule a Q&A with the speaker after each presentation.
- Is this event for me? I am in-house / agency / freelance / a business owner.
- Yes, it’s for everyone. We cover a wide variety of topics and areas. Read more in the ‘Is this for me?’ section on each conference’s promotional page.
- Will the conference be recorded?
- Yes, we film all of our conferences and you can purchase a video ticket in the tickets section. Alternatively, if you’re a paid member of DistilledU, you will receive all of our conference videos for free.
- Can I pitch to speak at the conferences?
- You can submit a pitch to speak at SearchLove here: https://goo.gl/forms/mFbgUFQSucgLJEUT2
- What is the Site Clinic?
- These sessions are first come first served and are by appointment only – email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to book a slot. We will respond with a series of questions about your site so that our consultants can prepare for your appointment ahead of time. There are very limited spaces for the clinic, and your appointment will last no longer than ten minutes, so please arrive on time.
- VIP Dinner? Tell me more!
- For VIP ticket holders only, the dinner is a fantastic chance to spend time with the conference’s expert speakers. We always choose an up-market venue with a private dining room, delicious food and wine. This is a not-to-miss evening!
- Future Conferences - can I be kept informed?
- To be the first to hear about the conference series, sign up for Email Alerts here