London - 17 & 18 October 2022
Power up your skills over two days, with cutting edge digital marketing presentations.
From analytics and optimization to content and paid promotions, all the crucial topics are covered.
Follow us on Twitter for regular conference updates.
Topics & Schedule
Day 1 – Monday 17th October
Arpun Bhuhi & Jamie FaulknerBrainlabs
Google is not (only) a search engine
Jes ScholzRingierGoogle is well beyond being a search engine alone, it’s an entire ecosystem. So as an industry we are talking a lot about Google beyond search. Problem is many still report on SEO success by only measuring google/organic, simply because many Google experiences lack clear ‘line items’ in Google Analytics. Google itself seems to be trying to push us away from this behaviour, adding reporting for specific Search Appearances, Discover and News in GSC and their APIs. But you can go beyond this to identify optimisations that drive visibility throughout the entire Google ecosystem.
The Future of Link Building: What got us here, won't get us there.
Paddy MooganAiraPaddy built his first link in 2004 and suffice to say, a lot has changed in the SEO industry since then. In this talk, Paddy will look back at the strategies and tactics that got us to where we are now and share a range of tactics for effective link building in 2022 and beyond.
GA, But Not As You Know It: How to use GA4 to get the most out of your strategies
Jill QuickThe Coloring in DepartmentGA4 is the biggest thing to happen in analytics in a decade! Despite the PR from GA about this ‘upgrade’ it is not a carbon copy of Universal Analytics. It is a completely new model, and will impact everything we do around reporting. Every single website that uses GA is going to have to break from what they traditionally know about Universal Analytics and adapt, migrate and learn how to use the new platform. But let’s face it, no one likes change, change is hard. However, change also brings new opportunities, and there are some things we can do in GA4 that will get you really excited. Join Jill for this session where you will look at how to navigate your journey of using GA as you know it, to the new GA4 model, and how you can use GA4 to get more out of your SEO strategies.
On Your Marks, Get Set, Audit!
Grace FrohlichBrainlabsGrace will talk you through a Maturity Audit framework which determines a site’s organic maturity in an industry. She will take you through the 6-step process and how you can use this to identify the greatest opportunities for your site. She will also show you how to use this to develop strategies and keep stakeholders in the loop.
5 Ways SEO Can be Much More Short Term Through Reactive Marketing
Carrie RoseRise at SevenIn this talk, Carrie will bust the myth that SEO is a long term game, and share 5 ways in which SEO can be short term through reactive marketing, tracking consumer search behaviour live and how to impact rankings at speed by tying PR, content and reactive search behaviour together. She will cover the importance of Google news, and how PR is becoming a central part of SEO for building immediate trust and authority. She will explain 2 case studies of creating pos 1 rankings by jumping on changes in search demand and how to keep rankings long term.
How we Sabotage our SEO
Tomek RudzkiZipTie.devIn 2022 SEOs face a new challenge - getting content indexed in Google. It’s REAL. Fortune 500 companies such as Amazon, Etsy and Zoopla are losing money because Google is not indexing their content. But the problem affects all kinds of businesses both big and small. I’ve been researching the topic for over 2 years. And I believe I have come to some interesting conclusions looking at our data, Google’s patents, and talking to Googlers (Martin Splitt and John Mueller).
The Future of Search: Exploring Apple's 'upcoming' Search Engine
Tom AnthonySearchPilotPeople believe Google can't be touched -- Tom disagrees. He has been researching the idea of an Apple Search engine for some time, from digging into their public announcements to reverse engineering their search engine API. In this presentation, Tom will break down how Apple could go about building a search engine in a completely novel way, building on their existing technologies and delivering a new form of search that could change the industry. Tom will show concrete examples to show the types of approach Apple could take.
The Aftermath of the Helpful Content Update, the September 2022 Core Update & The Product Review Updates
Lily RayAmsive DigitalLearn about the Helpful Content Update: what happened (or didn’t happen), how the Product Review Update review is related, and what this and other recent Google algorithm updates mean for the future of SEO.
Day 2 – Tuesday 18th October
Algorithm Updates: Brownian Noise
Tom CapperMoz"Often individual updates seem random or arbitrary, or just reverse the fates of the previous update. But is there a general direction over time? What kind of sites have trended upwards, and was it algorithm updates that did that for them? Google likes to say that if you make good sites and content, updates will reward you. But this isn't really true. Clearly, in the optimisation and experimentation of the Google algorithm, good sites cannot only move upwards. Sometimes they will be tested in a higher position than makes sense given their relevance, after which they must come down. In recent times, we've also assumed that changes in rankings result quickly from changes in sites. And yet, SEOs will often say that algorithm updates are rewarding them for long-past changes. Which of these narratives are true? Are they compatible?"
All hands on Deck: Why SEO Matters for every channel
Crystal CarterWixUsers approach content from many angles, and your tech SEO strategy should be ready for this omnichannel world. You'll need buy-in from multiple stakeholders, strategies to set priorities, and data that makes the difference so that you can add value to every client touch point.
Into the Great Unknown
Noah LearnerTwo OctobersCreating content is hard, and that’s when we have data we can lean into. What happens when we have no data? New Site? New Vertical? New Topic Area? In this talk we'll go beyond keyword research to explore how to build topic maps, and internal linking maps (that align with Google's understanding) to help you conquer NEW SERPS and win more budget from stakeholders along the way.
SEO, a moving target : Understanding what your customers want beyond keywords
Neha KhannaWayfair"How frustrated would you be if you wanted to learn about how motorcycles work, but all your search results tried to sell you one instead? That experience is what you’re trying to prevent by adding user intent into your SEO strategy. It’s tempting to jump to conclusions about a specific type of intent, based on the search term alone. However, behind every search, there is an intention that Google, in particular, seeks to satisfy. In this presentation, I will walk you through how and why it is important to understand your customer and their intent beyond just the keyword in a search query and how can you solve the customer's problem with the best content"
Controlling the Controllables
Nisha MatthewsGoogleWe will explore how current geopolitical and economic factors are impacting our way of living in the UK, how consumer behaviour is changing in these challenging times and how your business can adapt in the short and long term, and plan for an uncertain future.
10 Things Google is hiding from SEOs in their ads interface
Serbay Arda AyzitOptdcomGoogle is limiting more data from SEOs day by day. Because of that we rely more on 3rd party tools and try to get more data from them. At the same time, Google Ads experts can reach out more data because they are paying:). Aren't we targeting the same audiences and search terms? So let's try to discover how SEOs can use the data in the Google Ads panel. In the presentation, you will find out how to find and use this data for SEO. Till Google takes data away from Ads people, let's use it.
Building a Resilient Global SEO strategy in the face of economic headwinds in 2022 and beyond
Jake Roman-CaponBrainlabsSince Google shared their Bumpy Road Ahead vision for search back in July, we’ve been having more and more conversations with SEO clients about how their marketing strategies should adapt to an economic downturn, especially enterprise-level, global businesses that are keenly impacted by everything from inflation to supply chain issues. This talk will give you advice and strategies to manage conversations with clients about being more resilient, remaining optimistic, and why cutting budgets isn’t always the best solution, and also suggestions on how to build a more future-proofed SEO strategy for 2022/23 and to safeguard against future economic downturns.
Things I Learned from Sales Teams that Every SEO Should Know
Petra Kis-HerczeghYextWhether you're trying to build a business case or get buy-in for your SEO project, some of the core challenges will come down to the same thing: How well can you sell it? As SEOs, we often forget that, even though we spend our day-to-day analyzing data and optimizing content and websites for bots, at the end of the day, we are working with human beings — and some of those people have decision-making power over what we can and can't achieve in our roles. This is where learning a good set of sales skills becomes crucial. In this talk, Petra will explore some of the key skills and methods sales teams use, and how you can apply these to your SEO work.
Moneyball is the Future of SEO
Will CritchlowSearchPilotIn recent years, there has been a sea change in the way that professional sports teams are coached and managed as a result of more available data and new statistical techniques for making the most of it. I’m going to argue that the rise of testing capabilities in SEO is causing a similar sea change, and that everyone responsible for organic search performance for large websites should be aware of these changes and building them into their plans. Ultimately, modern on-site SEO for large websites should dramatically cut down untested changes and focus instead on new content, and deploying winning tests.
Features & Benefits
Every session takes place in the same room. That means no difficult decisions and no rushing around between presentations.
Each speaker is given a 45-minute slot to dive deep on their topic. Advanced content only, putting you ahead of the competition.
Keynote style sessions
Our in-house team looks after every detail: fresh food prepared with local ingredients, rock-solid wi-fi and that chilled beer when you're finished for the day.
After a busy time learning, unwind at our lunches and parties. We create lots of opportunities for you to better get to know your community.
Dine in style with the SearchLove speakers at this intimate gathering. Small groups will enjoy fine cuisine and drinks at this exclusive venue while asking the experts for advice and tips. VIP ticket holders only.
We love to party! Join us straight after sessions end on Monday. A vibrant atmosphere awaits just a short walk away. Lots of food and a generous drinks tab will keep energy levels high as everyone parties at a cool venue.
It's not over yet. At this second evening's event, attendees are joined by local industry professionals for a few more drinks and a chance to re-cap the two days.
SearchLove is the can't miss search event of the year. David Wilson.
Dating back to 1750, the London Brewery combines historic charm with modern comfort in its present role as a conference venue. Rock solid Wi-Fi will keep delegates online, as they place their laptops on the desks in the classroom-style setting.
Location: 52 Chiswell Street, London, EC1Y 4SD
Make the most of your time at SearchLove by staying right next door to the conference venue. We have a discounted rate with The Montcalm - London City. Reservation requests can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 0207 479 2233, please quote SEAR161022 when making your booking.
£180.00 + VAT (20%) per room per night for Deluxe Room -Room only
At the networking events I spoke directly to industry leaders who listened to my problems and gave me concrete solutions to take back to the office. MyIrishJeweler.
An exceptional event, top speakers, up-to-date content and very well organised. David Sayce, Ince & Co.
Is this for me?
- Meet your industry peers and compare experiences
- Get inspired by new ideas and different ways of thinking about marketing
- Learn about the latest actionable techniques to use back in the office
- Widen your field of knowledge on a diverse range of topics
The whole vibe is amazing! You get the latest trends, tips and cases from speakers who actually want to speak openly about search, and not just show off their success. It is the single most inspirational event I have ever attended. Morten Bergestad.
- Be inspired by new ideas and different ways of thinking about marketing
- Learn about the latest techniques to use back in the office
- Get to know your industry peers and compare experiences
- Widen your field of knowledge across a diverse range of topics
Relevant topics, fact based analysis, real-life examples and engaging speakers gave sound advice and really reminded me why I love SEO. I'll definitely be back next year. James Bavington, StrategiQ.
- Get inspired by new ideas and different ways of thinking about marketing
- Learn how to integrate marketing campaigns for optimum effect
- Hear about predictions and future trends in search
- Share experiences and ideas with other people in the industry
Expect to be entertained, educated and instilled with confidence either that you are doing the right things or knowing exactly what to do to improve. Katherine Dawson, Owner & Creative Director of Strategy Digital.
- Get to grips with all the latest skills and techniques
- Be inspired by success stories from a diverse range of companies
- Ask questions to industry leaders who run businesses
- Spend focused time on the most relevant topics
Distilled events cut through all of the industry hype to focus on sensible and practical advice that I can use in my business right now. Ade Lewis, Teapot Creative.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I pay via invoice?
- We do not offer the option to pay via invoice.
- Are there any group discounts?
- Yes, we offer buy 4 get 1 free, buy 8 get 2 free, and so on. If these aren’t suitable, please get in touch: email@example.com
- Do I need to be an expert to attend the conference?
- Not at all, people of all experience levels are welcome. We do pitch our sessions at an advanced level to make sure the content is new and inspiring. However, if there is something that you are unclear on, please come and chat to one of our team or a fellow delegate during the breaks. We’re a friendly bunch!
- Will I receive a paper ticket?
- No, we don’t issue any paper tickets for our conferences. Instead, you should receive a confirmation email once you have purchased your ticket(s). Then, when you arrive at registration on the morning of the conference, you will need to come to the desk and collect your lanyard.
- What are the timings on the day?
- On day 1, registration opens at 8am, and the first session starts at 9am. The last session finishes at around 5.30pm followed by our networking party. On day 2, the first session starts at 9.15am, and the last session finishes at around 5pm followed by our industry drinks.
- Are refreshments provided?
- Very much so! A delicious lunch is provided to all delegates, as well as a light breakfast, plus coffee, tea and snacks throughout the day.
- Will I receive the slides after the conference?
- Yes, all the slides are linked to from our live page: distilled.net/live. This is also where you can provide feedback for our events team and our speakers
- Are there opportunities to ask the speakers questions?
- Yes, there are lots of networking opportunities throughout the two days: during the breaks, at the party and industry drinks, as well as the VIP dinner. We also try to schedule a Q&A with the speaker after each presentation.
- Is this event for me? I am in-house / agency / freelance / a business owner.
- Yes, it’s for everyone. We cover a wide variety of topics and areas. Read more in the ‘Is this for me?’ section on each conference’s promotional page.
- Will the conference be recorded?
- Yes, we film all of our conferences and you can purchase a video ticket in the tickets section.
- Can I pitch to speak at the conferences?
- You can submit a pitch to speak at SearchLove in 2023 here: https://bit.ly/SLspk
- VIP Dinner? Tell me more!
- For VIP ticket holders only, the dinner is a fantastic chance to spend time with the conference’s expert speakers. We always choose an up-market venue with a private dining room, delicious food and wine. This is a not-to-miss evening!
- Future Conferences - can I be kept informed?
- To be the first to hear about the conference series, sign up for Email Alerts here